Dunkerton students join Jesup CAPS programBy Cheryl Parker
Following a very successful launch of Jesup High School’s Center for Advanced Professional Studies (CAPS) Program last year, this fall’s program expanded to include three students from Dunkerton.
A 28E agreement between the Jesup Community School District and the Dunkerton Community School District basically allows up to ten students to all the benefits of Jesup CAPS in exchange for the State of Iowa tuition rate for 3 of 8 class periods for one semester.
Dunkerton High School Principal Kory Kelchen said both schools are participants in CVNE, a consortium of area schools, and toured the Cedar Falls CAPS. All were excited about the concept; Jesup was the first to implement the program in January 2020.
“It just made sense, considering how close we are to Jesup, to join their program,” said Principal Kelchen.
The Dunkerton students are associates with Spahn and Rose Lumber, Legacy’s Bar & Grill, and the City of Jesup. Other local business partners working with Jesup students this semester include Farmers State Bank, Innovative Wealth, Jesup Public Library, St. John’s School in Independence, ReMAX – Tina Geweke, Western Homes, and Convey Signs and More.
Jesup High School Principal Paul Rea said “We have projects from other businesses as well, but students did not pick projects from those other companies this semester.”
Principal Kelchen added, “The CAPS Student Associates enjoy working in their office area at CoWork 591 and on-the-job with their business hosts. It’s a great experience to meet new people and work together.”
Kelchen said the Wapsie Valley School District is also preparing a CAPS program for their school.
Other News Stories In the Jesup Citizen Herald Newspaper
- Buchanan Co. Health Center administers COVID-19 vaccines to hospital and clinic staff
- Annika Wall graduates from Wartburg College
- Milz is December 2020 Morningside graduate
- Morningside announces Dean’s List for fall semester
- Virtual program offers tips for parenting in a pandemic and beyond
- Dunkerton Library News By Michelle Wheeler, Director
- Reading Connection By Becky Bauer-Fisher
- The Postscript By Carrie Classon “Swedish Surprise”
- Living Well With Buchanan County Health Center
- Moonlit Snowshoe
- BCHC welcomes new leadership in clinical education, wound care depts.
- Bring the outdoors inside with Adventure Lab app
- January is National Blood Donor Month
- City of Jesup Employee Wages
You're missing dozens of exciting and informative stories and photos if you're not reading the complete print edition of the Jesup Citizen Herald. Subscribe now!