McFaddens lose home in fireBy Cheryl Parker
It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving, in the wee morning hours, that Vince McFadden was wakened by smoke coming out of the vent in his bedroom. He and wife Paula roused all the kids and they went to their limestone barn for safety.
While the kids called 911, Vince discovered the whole house ventilator in the basement was on fire. He tried to put it out with his fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful. He noted they have fire alarms in every room that went off, after the house was evacuated. From the outside, he tried to put out the fire with the garden hose before fire departments from Gilbertville, Raymond, Evansdale and LaPorte City arrived. Despite their best efforts, the house is a total loss.
The McFadden family is currently staying with friends while looking for a home to rent or buy. They will rebuild on the same site as soon as they are able. The fire departments offered to notify the Red Cross, but that was unnecessary as they have received an outpouring of support from their friends, neighbors, and church community.
There were ten people who were safely evacuated from the burning home. All of the McFadden’s seven children, plus a guest, were home for Thanksgiving. McFadden said, “I want to thank God for saving us, and also our friends and the church and Bosco community for collecting food and clothing, and even offering their homes for us to stay in.”
The McFadden home is located just north of Gilbertville.
Other News Stories In the Jesup Citizen Herald Newspaper
- Every Tuesday is Hot Dog Day
- Script for Eat the Devil
- Jesup in Bloom
- Free Seminar to be held at the Independence Public Library
- Moser students recognized
- Buchanan Co. Community Foundation distributes more than $133,000 to local organizations
- Dunkerton Days Schedule, July 19 and 20
You're missing dozens of exciting and informative stories and photos if you're not reading the complete print edition of the Jesup Citizen Herald. Subscribe now!